Friday, March 13, 2015

Legend Of Valley Doom Choir Vocal Recording: Conclusion!

Well that's a wrap, folks! March 6th, 2015 after months of practice and weeks of recording I finished my choir vocals for Marius Danielsen's Legend of Valley Doom (http://www.mariusdanielsen.com). It was a great experience to be a part of and I have to say two big "thank yous."

Marius Danielsen


One is to Marius Danielsen for choosing me to be a part of this project. It was great to work on some music from another source, and it was great practice and experience to do exclusively choir styled vocals. It helped me get a better feel for my voice, and techniques for recording this style for possible future endeavors.

My second thanks goes out to my friend Ryan Patane, who helped me by engineering and recording the vocals. Without him helping the quality wouldn't be there, and I can't thank him enough for opening up his time and home setup to help with me with this.

Album art for Optic's "Iris In"


By the way...Ryan is the keyboardist for NY Progressive Metal band, Optic. You should go to their bandcamp and check out (and buy) their debut album "Iris In." (http://opticband.bandcamp.com)

Thanks, buddy! I had a blast.

Well a little more hype and info on the album for the songs I did this round. I ended my sessions with the title track "Legend Of Valley Doom." By this time the beers popped open and Friday night was official. As we listened to the final recordings and all the other songs we have done, Ryan shed a single tear stating "This was beautiful." He couldn't contain himself so he is now fasting until the album comes out.

Did that actually happen? No, well except the beer and celebrating. But what I can say about the title track is it has an epic "national anthem" type of sound and feel, featuring most of the singers (i think all) from the album. Still, my all around favourite track is "Chamber of Wisdom" but that might be because Edu and Jonas have been a part of two of my favourite metal bands.

Without giving too much away, I believe this is a solid album let a lone metal opera. Marius should be very proud of it, and I think it will have a nice following. Of course, I have not heard any final mixes and some tracks didn't have vocals in them so I can only give my opinion from the demos and stuff, but what I heard is very nice. It has a nice balance of feeling epic but reserved. Not every song is a bombastic symphonic fest, but the choruses will always have a bigger feeling.

Well that's about it. Hooray! Thanks again to Ryan and Marius...I can't wait for the album to be finished \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment